Perfect bridal hair and makeup doesn't just happen. There are little things that you must do to prepare your hair and face for that appointment with your hair and makeup professional to make sure everything turns out as close to perfect as possible. BUT, don't worry we've got your back! Just follow these tips and you'll be set for wedding day beauty perfection!!!
1. Not washing your hair the morning of your wedding. Most hair stylists like your hair dirty for styling, but really who wants to have stinky hair for your wedding night? Here at A Glamour Affair we prefer clean hair. This is because styles now involve more volume instead of slick tight do's. If your hair is oily it's just really hard to get any volume out of it and have it stay volumized. We use some really great products to get any advantages that two day old hair would have without being washed. So go ahead and wash that hair, use a volumizer while it's wet, and blow dry it. We will take care of the rest.
2. Waxing your brows the day before, or even 2 days before your wedding. This can really affect the way your foundation adheres to your skin. When you wax you are removing even those fine hairs that are also all over your face. Waxing any sooner than 3 days before your wedding day can lead to sections of your face looking a different color than the rest once foundation is applied. Foundation looks different on hairless skin than skin with very fine barely visible hair. Plucking is absolutely fine whenever because you are only removing the thick darker hairs.
3. Not exfoliating your face and lips the week of the wedding. By not exfoliating you run the risk of having small pieces of flaky skin on your face which is amplified once foundation is added. This may not even be something that visible to you, but upon taking a closer look we can see it when applying your makeup. Overall, it really affects the smooth affect foundation could give you if we start with a smooth flake free canvas. So, be sure to exfoliate your face with an exfoliator like Clinique's exfoliating scrub which works wonders along with their clarifying lotion that removes away any left behind dead skin. DON'T FORGET TO DO YOUR LIPS TOO. Lipstick on flaky lips doesn't exactly look great or that kissable. You should do this weekly leading up to your wedding day and the morning of the wedding or at least the night before.
4. Using a flat iron or curling iron before your wedding day hair appointment. When you straighten your hair or add any hot tool (aside from a hair dryer) you are completely removing the moisture from your hair, which is needed in order for hair to hold the shape that your stylist will be putting into it. So since your stylist will be using a hot tool to curl your hair this will be the shape you will want to have for the day. I can always tell with the first section I curl whether or not my client used a hot tool on their hair. It just won't hold the curl the way it normally would and it always falls limp. If you have curly hair and you want it to have that smooth curl look you don't have to straighten it first, I can achieve that look with my curling iron smoothing the strands as I work my way down the length.
5. Not washing your face or removing all of your makeup before your makeup appointment. Your makeup artist needs to start with a clean canvas including those lashes. They need to be free of any leftover mascara from the day before so you can get a smooth separated look for those lashes. You don't want any spider lashes or flakiness from leftover mascara.
6. Not moisturizing your face before your makeup appointment. You must show up with a moisturized face for your makeup appointment. You want your face to be hydrated and moist so your skin looks it's best for your wedding day. Drinking plenty of water the week of your wedding can also help your skin look refreshed for the big day.
7. Not using a good lip balm the week of the wedding. We already talked about exfoliating the lips, but you also have to be moisturizing them so they have that plump look. You should moisturize your lips with a good lip balm the entire week of the wedding. You would be surprised how many people don't think about this. If I didn't see it so often I probably wouldn't think about it either, but lips can end up having ridges in them when they aren't properly moisturized.
So there it is, all of the major factors that could really affect your wedding day look. If you follow these tips then you will get the most out of your hair and makeup appointment and look your very best!